I am a British citizen travelling to the UAE on holiday. Do I need a visa?

Citizens of the UK (with right of abode in the UK) will be granted a free of charge visit visa on arrival in the UAE. No application in advance of travel is necessary. Please note that your passport will be stamped for 30 days upon arrival. If further stay is required an application for an extension should be made to the local General Directorate of Residency and Foreign Affairs three days prior to the expiry date (chargeable services).
Please note that holders of British Overseas Citizens Passport who do not have the right of abode in the UK do need visas to enter the UAE.
All visitors should have a valid return travel ticket and a passport valid for a minimum period of six months for tourism and employment.
Resident visas and work permits are issued by the relevant authorities in the UAE after an application from a prospective employer.

For further information, please visit "Visas" section of this website or http://dnrd.ae/en/Pages/Home.aspx.

I am not a British citizen but I live in the UK. Do I need a visa to travel to the UAE?

Maybe. In depends on your Nationality. Please see the Visa section on this website.

Can I enter the UAE with my stepchildren without their biological parent?

Yes, with written proof of parental responsibility.

Can I enter the UAE with my grandchildren?

Yes, with written approval from a parent or guardian.

My children have a different surname to mine; do I need a proof of parental responsibility in order to enter the UAE?

It would be advisable.

I want to work in the UAE; how can I obtain a work permit?

You will need to be sponsored by an employer.

What is the minimum validity period that I need to have in my passport?

Six months, beyond the end of your intended stay. If you hold a residence permit, your passport must be valid for at least three months in order to travel in and out of the country.

I want to go to study in the UAE; how can I obtain a student visa?

Contact the consulate here.

What is legalisation?

Please see the legalisation section on this website.

Are there any restrictions on single women travelling to the UAE?


Is it safe for a single woman to travel to the UAE?

Yes. The UAE is one of the safest countries in the world.

Is it legal to share a hotel room in the UAE with my partner if I am unmarried?


Is kissing and holding hands appropriate in public?

As in all Muslim countries public displays of affection are considered disrespectful and may lead to a police caution or even arrest.

I am a British national who lives in the UK. Can I get married in the UAE?

Yes. But you should contact the British Embassy or Consulate in the UAE.

Is my marriage certificate going to be valid in the UK or EU if I get married in the UAE?

Yes, if it is properly legalized. Check with the local British Embassy or Consulate.

I have a UK Driving Licence; can I drive in the UAE?

UK Driving Licence holders can drive hire cars only.

Can I drive a private vehicle on my UK Driving Licence in the UAE?

No, but you can obtain a temporary UAE driving licence for 6 months even if you are not resident. This can be arranged at the Traffic Police Office in each Emirate.

Is healthcare free for foreigners in the UAE?

No. If you require medical treatment you or your travel insurance company will need to cover the costs.

What medication am I allowed to bring into the UAE?

Some prescribed and over the counter medicines that are available in the UK are controlled substances in the UAE. Such medication is not allowed into the UAE without prior permission from the UAE Ministry of Health. Check the list of prohibited medication via http://www.moh.gov.ae/en/ or contact the UAE Medical Department in the UK at:

71 Harley Street

Tel: +442074866281
Fax: +442072243575

What are the restrictions on drink driving in the UAE?

There is zero tolerance approach to drink driving. Convictions will lead to fines and stiff penalties. Being drunk in public is also a punishable offence.

What happens if I am found in possession of illegal drugs?

The penalties for drug trafficking, smuggling and possession, of even residual amounts, are severe.

What is the most appropriate dress code in public for the UAE?

It is essential for men and women to dress modestly at all times in public places.

Most malls advertise the type of clothing that is considered permissible while shopping in the UAE.

Swimming attire can only be worn on beaches or at swimming pools. Topless sunbathing is not allowed.

I am a Non Muslim but wish to visit some mosques in the UAE. Is that possible?

Visits to the Mosques can be easily arranged through your tour operator or your hotel. However, if you are planning a visit by yourself, please ensure that you are familiar with the Mosque etiquette and dress code.
Detailed information can be found on the official website of the Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque at http://www.szgmc.ae/en/plan-your-visit, which are applicable to other Mosques.

I am a non-Muslim and visiting the UAE during the month of Ramadan; is it ok for me to eat and drink in public places?

During Ramadan all Muslims fast from sunrise to sunset. Eating, drinking and smoking in public areas during daylight hours should be avoided. However, hotels provide meals at restaurants that are not exposed to the public view in the fasting hours.

What are the UAE Public Holidays for 2013?

01 January __________ New Year’s Day
24 January __________ Mawlid Al Nabee(Prophet's Birthday)
06 June __________ Al Isra' Wal Miraj (Ascensions of the Prophet)
08, 09, 10 August __________ Eid Al Fitr (End of Ramadan
14 October __________ Mount Arefat Day
15, 16, 17 October __________ Eid Al Adha (Feast of the Sacrifice)
04 November __________ Al Hijra (Islamic New Year)
02, 03 December __________ UAE National Day

Religious festival and holidays are based on the lunar Islamic Hijri calendar and dates can vary slightly as they depend upon the sighting of the new moon.

I am a student and wish to do a project on the UAE; where can I find some promotional material?

Explore the useful links listed on this website. Or contact our Information and Resources Department via informationuk@mofa.gov.ae

We are organizing a cultural event; can the Embassy supply us with any promotional material?

Yes. Our Information and Resources Department can provide you with complimentary general information on the UAE. Send your request to informationuk@mofa.gov.ae

How do I set up a business in the UAE?

See the Business and Trade section of this website for general information. Contact the local Chamber of Commerce in the relevant emirate for specific information.

What are the business working hours in the UAE?

Many businesses work on a two shift system (for example, 8am - 1pm and 4pm - 7pm). As in all Muslim countries, Friday is the weekly day of rest. The weekend for office workers was traditionally Thursday afternoon and Friday, but a growing number of organizations have changed over to a five day week with Friday and Saturday as the weekend. During the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, normal working hours are reduced by two to three hours per day.

Do I have to pay income tax in the UAE?

No, you do not. The UAE does not have any federal income tax on salaries.

Where can I find recent press releases or statements?

In the news section of this website.

My company is sending me to do some commercial filming in the UAE. Where can I find out about a filming permit and obtain press credentials?

You should contact:

The National Media Council (www.nmc.gov.ae)

Abu Dhabi
P. O. Box 3790, Abu Dhabi,
United Arab Emirates
Tel: +97124452922
Fax: +97124450458
Email: info@nmcuae.ae

Tel: +97142615500
Fax: +97142615648
P.O Box: 5353 Dubai, United Arab Emirates

Tel: +97165629000
Fax: +97165629652

Tel: +97167444384
Fax: +97167444088

Al Ain
Tel: +97137632555
Fax: +97137629944

Tel: +97192224190
Fax: +97192221008

Ras Al Khaimah
Tel: +97172275050
Fax: +97172274994

Umm Al Quwain
Tel: +97167656663
Fax: +97167653500

Western Region
Tel: +97128846983
Fax: +97128841983

Please note that if you are in the UK, your Filming Permit and Equipment Clearance may be arranged by ADTA +442072016404 for Abu Dhabi and by DTCM +442073216110 for Dubai.

Are there any student exchange or Arabic programmes in the UAE?

Contact the Education Department at the Embassy.

I am a qualified teacher in the UK; can I apply for the job in the UAE educational institutions?

That will depend on the institution and your qualifications. Contact the institution concerned.

I wish to study at the university in the UAE; is my degree going to be recognized when I return to live in the UK?